The figures are generated every hour. The inputs row lets you
change images for each fire, date, and hour. You change the
images by hovering your mouse over the buttons.
Hover Button Rows
- Images from GOES-16 for the hour selected. There are images
every 5 minutes. The image is a blended "TrueColor" and
"FireTemperature" product, with GLM lightning data showing
flashes indicated by small yellow crosshairs. Be aware of
which makes tall clouds appear larger and lightning point data
to appear skewed. The GLM data is parallax corrected with an
assumed cloud height.
- Lightning data from the Geostationary Lightning Mapper: note,
the lightning mapper "measures" total lightning
(intracloud+cloud-to-ground) simply by identifying "bright"
regions in the near IR channel and interprets those flashes as
lightning. You will notice some parallax in the GOES-16 images
(flash are shifted slightly south of the cloud's convective
center) which I haven't solved yet. The idea with these plots
is to show where the lightning has been observed and how it has
moved in the last 90 minutes.
- GLM_map - map centered on fire start location, a 300
mile radius is shown in red, and the accumulated
flashes for the previous 0-30 minutes (black),
30-60 minutes (grey), and 60-90 minutes (white).
The HRRR 500 mb wind barbs are plotted using HRRR data
from that hour.
- GLM_histogram - a histogram describing the distance of
the flashes relative to the fire.
- GLM_proximity - a scatter plot showing flashes by
distance and direction from the fire.
- GLM_rose30 - a "lightning rose" showing how many
flashes are in each direction and how close they are
relative to the fire for the previous 0-30 minutes. The
length of a rose petal is the count of lighting
flashes in that direction. The color represents the
relative distance from the fire where yellow is closer
to the fire than purple.
- GLM_rose60 - same as GLM_rose30, except showing
lightning for previous 30-60 minutes.
- GLM_rose90 - same, but for previous 60-90 minutes.
- HRRR point-forecast initialized at the hour. Forecast image for each 18 forecast hours.
- HRRR forecast hovmoller to show how HRRR forecasts have changed.