GOES-16 on Amazon Download Page
This page is tested in and (Why only these two? Because my advisor uses Chrome, and I use Edge.)
- Select the desired domain, product, date, and hour for which you want to download.
- Click the submit button.
- Data is available for 16 different channels or bands. A blue box appears for every file that is available. The number on the box represents the minute the scan started. Full disk scans are available every 15 minutes, CONUS scans are available every 5 minutes, and mesoscale scans are available every minute.
- Click the desired file and the download will begin.
Files are downloaded in NetCDF format.
An example file name:
- OR - data is operational and in real-time
- ABI-L1b-RadM1 - is the product, with the mesoscale 1 domain. C is for CONUS, F is for full disk, and M2 is for Mesoscale 2.
- M3C01 - Mode is 3 and Channel is 01
- G16 - GOES-16
- s20172511100550 - scan start time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
- e20172511101007 - scan end time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
- c20172511101048 - scan file creation time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
More details can be found on Amazon's page.
Data from the Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) is downloaded from Amazon S3
The base download URL is https://noaa-goes16.s3.amazonaws.com
The file path is: /product/year/day_of_year/hour/file_name
- GOES-R Homepage
- Channels Approx. File Sizes
- ABI Bands Quick Information Guides
- GOES-16 User Guide
- Another ABI Document
- NOAA GOES Guide
- More GOES-16 Links
- All the GOES-R Docs
|Band Number||Resolution (km)||Wavelength||Spectrum||Name|
|01||1||0.47 µm||Visible||Blue Band|
|02||0.5||0.64 µm||Visible||Red Band|
|03||1||0.86 µm||Near-IR||Veggie Band|
|04||2||1.37 µm||Near-IR||Cirrus Band|
|05||1||1.60 µm||Near-IR||Snow/Ice Band|
|06||2||2.24 µm||Near-IR||Cloud Prticle Size Band|
|07||2||3.90 µm||IR||Shortwave Window Band|
|08||2||6.20 µm||IR||Upper-Troposphere WV Band|
|09||2||6.90 µm||IR||Mid-Level Troposphere WV Band|
|10||2||7.30 µm||IR||Low-Level Troposphere WV Band|
|11||2||8.40 µm||IR||Cloud-Top Phase Band|
|12||2||9.60 µm||IR||Ozone Band|
|13||2||10.3 µm||IR||Clean IR Longwave Band|
|14||2||11.2 µm||IR||IR Longwave Band|
|15||2||12.3 µm||IR||Dirty IR Longwave Band|
|16||2||13.3 µm||IR||CO2 Longwave IR Band|
Note: The resolution of the Multi-band files for all channels is 2 km. This file is easiest to work with if you don't need the full resolution of the 1 km channels for your images.