GOES-16/17 on Amazon Download Page
This page makes it easy to explore the GOES dataset on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and download files with the click of a mouse.
- Select the desired domain, product, date, and hour for which you want to download.
- The "source" option refers to where the data is downloaded from. AWS is Amazon's cloud. OCC is the Open Commons Consortium and has GOES files from the last 7-8 months. If you get an XML error when downloading from the Amazon source, try switching to OCC. Check the URL in bold below to confirm the source.
- Click the submit button.
- A blue box appears for every file that is available.
- The L1b Radiances and L2 Cloud and Moisture Imagery have separate files for each of the 16 bands.
- All other L2 products have a single file for each observation time.
- The number on the blue box represents the minute the scan started.
- Full disk scans are available every 15 minutes, CONUS scans are available every 5 minutes, and mesoscale scans are available every minute.
- Some L2 products are not available for all domains.
- Click the desired file and the download will begin.
Also check out the Alternative Download Page
Downloaded files are in NetCDF format. For example:
- OR - data is operational and in real-time
- ABI-L1b-RadM1- - is the product, with the mesoscale 1 domain. C is for CONUS, F is for full disk, and M2 is for Mesoscale 2.
- M3C01 - Mode is 3 and Channel is 01
- G16 - GOES-16 (G17 for GOES-17)
- s20172511100550 - scan start time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
- e20172511101007 - scan end time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
- c20172511101048 - scan file creation time sYYYYJJJHHMMSSm: year, day of year, hour, minute, second, tenth second
- .nc - This is a NetCDF file.
More details can be found on Amazon's page.
The base download URL is https://noaa-goes16.s3.amazonaws.com
The file path is: /product/year/day_of_year/hour/file_name
- GOES-R Homepage
- Channels Approx. File Sizes
- ABI Bands Quick Information Guides
- GOES-16 User Guide
- GOES-R ABI Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document
- GOES Band Reference Guide
- More GOES-16 Links
- All the GOES-R Docs
|Band Number||Resolution (km)||Wavelength||Spectrum||Name|
|01||1||0.47 µm||Visible||Blue Band|
|02||0.5||0.64 µm||Visible||Red Band|
|03||1||0.86 µm||Near-IR||Veggie Band|
|04||2||1.37 µm||Near-IR||Cirrus Band|
|05||1||1.60 µm||Near-IR||Snow/Ice Band|
|06||2||2.24 µm||Near-IR||Cloud Prticle Size Band|
|07||2||3.90 µm||IR||Shortwave Window Band|
|08||2||6.20 µm||IR||Upper-Troposphere WV Band|
|09||2||6.90 µm||IR||Mid-Level Troposphere WV Band|
|10||2||7.30 µm||IR||Low-Level Troposphere WV Band|
|11||2||8.40 µm||IR||Cloud-Top Phase Band|
|12||2||9.60 µm||IR||Ozone Band|
|13||2||10.3 µm||IR||Clean IR Longwave Band|
|14||2||11.2 µm||IR||IR Longwave Band|
|15||2||12.3 µm||IR||Dirty IR Longwave Band|
|16||2||13.3 µm||IR||CO2 Longwave IR Band|
Note: The resolution of the Multi-band files for all channels and other L2 products is 2 km.